2010 Go Primal!
I have in the past put up some good recipes for people to check out and try. Hopefully some of you have given this a try, and more will in the future. I get most of the recipe ideas from “Mark’s Daily Apple”. If you have not subscribed to his blog you should. There is so much great information on nutrition and how to live a healthier life. If you have one new year’s resolution this should be it. At FallOut CrossFit we talk about eating a Paleo Gluten Free diet. And for many this is working out great and I can see the benefits paying off for everyone. But if you want some more direction to investigate on your own time. Check out this Mark’s page for sure. A great place to start is to check out Primal Blueprint 101. And also “The Definitive Guide to the Primal Eating Plan”.
A recipe to try for 2010: Primal Energy Bar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup almond butter (although cashew, hazelnut, walnut and even pumpkin butters will work well too!)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (check your local health food store)
- 1/4 cup almond meal (simply pulse approximately 1/4 cup of almonds until it creates a coarse flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of raw honey (although, this is really kind of optional because the egg will help hold the mixture together)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened whey protein powder (or 60g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut to sprinkle on top
- On a cookie sheet, toast nuts and shredded coconut until golden brown. In order for them to cook evenly, you need to shake up the tray at least once during cooking
- Once toasted, pour mixture into a food processor and pulse until nuts are chopped and the mixture becomes coarsely ground
- In a mixing bowl, melt coconut oil and almond butter. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, honey and sea salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in nut mixture, almond meal and protein powder until mixed thoroughly.
- Add whole egg and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in blueberries/cranberries.
- Press mixture into an 8 by 8 loaf pan.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle a ¼ cup of shredded coconut on top and place under broiler until top begins to brown.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces/bars.
- Enjoy or stack on wax paper/parchment and store in an airtight container.
15-13-11-9-7-5-3-1 Hand Stand Pushups
Level III – Rx
Level II – HSPUs & Strict Pullups (bands ok)
Level I – Box HSPUs & Strict Pullups (bands ok)